Saturday, October 25, 2008

LiveStrong Challenge - Day 2 (Saturday the 25th) - Walk


The walk was held in downtown Austin, Tx on Saturday. I arrived well ahead of time, and it was still quite dark out. Like last year, the start was just south of the Capitol, however down one block, at 10th and Congress.

Just before the start, Doug Ulman gave a small speech, followed by the National Anthem, and then actor Evan Handler. Watch the video.




Once the walk started, I ran for just a little bit since I was to the front and didn't want to get trampled. The route was different this year, turning east on 3rd street and then north on Trinity. I tried to watch for the mile markers, I believe the timing was 12:53 for mile 1, 28:17 for mile 2 and 43:30 at end, at mile 3 (the chip recorded 43:29.442). Perhaps one day I'll try running, but for now, the walking suits me.










Once again, they had pedicabs for children from the Dell Children's Hospital. Most of them were quite noisy as they passed so they didn't sneak up on you. I found out the next day some of the riders from Team Dell were the "drivers" for the cabs.




These folks, from the Palmetto Pelaton, rode from Greenville, South Carolina to Austin in about 5 days. They left on October 19th, rode in groups of 5 for 6 hours, 24 hours a day. I'm impressed! After all the walkers had finished, they invited the whole gang to go up on stage for a group photo




After the walk, I went up to the Capitol to look around a bit. Last year I didn't go inside, but decided I would this time. There were lots of other folks from the walk with the same idea as me, probably a good deal of them from out of state.


As I left, I noticed many UT fans were already setting up their tail-gating parties for the game that afternoon.


Once home, I did a short ride in preparation for the Ride tomorrow.

No comments: